Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Hachiro Kasuga -- Ore wa Nora Inu (俺は野良犬)

Arnie

Back during my internship at AVA (Singapore's Agri-Food & Vet. Authority), because of my constant trips out to the boondocks with my colleagues for ornamental fish farm inspections, I got more than my fill of dogs in the span of four and a half months. There were a couple of hyper-excited corgi mutt-things, both taught me what it meant to be play bitten and had my friend Mr J. tutting at my ability to be bullied by the little rabid creatures; there was also trio of dobermans who were intimidating at first, but they turned out to be affectionate. However, I have a soft spot for the giant brindle mastiff Arnie who, despite his size, wouldn't hurt a fly. I mean, look at the derpy face! Any intruder would get to experience being lovingly leaned on or licked... before getting viciously chomped on the butt by the ferocious resident cane corso.

Those were some of the canines whom I had successfully made a rapport with - all owned by the farmers and at some point were meant to be guard dogs. However, there were also a number of strays hanging around the quiet roads and skulking about in the tall grass. I can't say that sentiments towards them were particularly nice, and they were being frowned upon or shooed. And unlike the likes of Arnie, I was constantly being told to stay away. Cut to late last year (and how this anecdote relates to anything in this article) when I got introduced to Hachiro Kasuga's (春日八郎) "Ore wa Nora Inu" (I'm a stray dog), I couldn't help but wonder if the main character in the song was being subjected to the above mentioned treatment.


As I mentioned in my list of Hachi songs, "Ore wa Nora Inu" is one of my favourites from the enka veteran. With just the melody alone, the strings and slow waltz-like rhythm makes for an elegant albeit dated sound.This contrasts with the words that feature a fellow who's the complete opposite of elegant. I'm guessing he could be a hobo-nagashi or hobo-ruffian, drunkenly wandering around the dark and dank uramachis, and thus being shunned by the masses as if he were a stray dog. An interesting juxtaposition, but what made it latch on to me, besides its surprisingly catchy tune, is how Hachi's forlorn and tender vocals convey Mr Hobo's possible loneliness and hopelessness of being stuck in his current predicament. I feel that it sounds more obvious in the original take of "Ore wa Nora Inu", which is in the video above, when the singer had a higher and shriller voice. His self-cover in his 3rd Deluxe album (春日八郎デラックス第3集) from 1972 (video below), had him sounding more lax.


"Ore wa Nora Inu" was written by Hiroshi Yokoi (横井弘) and composed by Toshio Kamata (鎌多俊与) - I think that's how his name is pronounced? - and was originally released as the B-side to "Gomen yo Kanbenna" (ごめんヨかんべんナ) in 1957. I think it was decently popular, considering Hachi's character sang it in a film (as with many singers of that time, he had roles in some movies too), which I think is called "Aoi Umibara" (青い海原) from the same year that starred Hibari Misora (美空ひばり) and Ken Takakura (高倉健).

(Sorry but the video has been taken down.)
Dang, he was cute when he smiled... ...

...

OKAY, on an ending note, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Chinese New Year! And wouldn't you know it, it's the year of the dog. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Noelle.

    Looking at that picture of the mastiff there, he's so aptly named that I would imagine it barks in an Austrian accent!

    As for the elegant "Ore wa Nora Inu", I actually prefer the original version since the arrangement there fits the image of Kasuga as that gentleman hobo. But I have a somewhat more happier image in that he is weaving around the back streets of Tokyo...tipsy, of course...but waltzing about in front of his fellow drunkards and amusing them to no end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention barking, because I’d never heard Arnie make a single sound whenever we popped by that farm. He’d just sit or follow me silently... The former was really freaky when I first laid eyes on him, considering his size and initial poker face. But I imagine it’d be terrifying if he were to let out a bark.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.