Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Frank Nagai -- Koi-san no Love Call(こいさんのラブ・コール)


Among just about everybody in the old kayo era, I believe Frank Nagai(フランク永井)was the original crooner of love songs. There is something about his delivery and voice that brings to mind some of those romantic singers in the United States back in the 1920s and 1930s. They're the ones who I would envisage cradling those huge microphones in the radio studios like a lover while the NBC orchestra is playing in the background.


Even among Nagai's long discography, I think I may have discovered his crooniest love song in the form of "Koi-san no Love Call" (Love Call From The Youngest Daughter). Recorded in 1958 and created by Tsuneo Ishihama and Masao Ono(石濱恒夫・大野正雄), the singer pretty much places himself in ancient RKO Studios when I hear him sing this tribute to young ladies, perhaps barely out of their teens, weeping for their beaus leaving town, perhaps to start work elsewhere.


"Koi-san no Love Call" may be just the song to end the radio broadcast before everyone hits slumberland, and so I will close down my computer and hit the hay. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.