Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, December 22, 2017

Akira Inoue -- Bartok no Kage(バルトークの影)


Probably tonight, there are tons of people already in downtown having their Xmas parties at various places. I've already had my two in the last couple of Fridays so tonight is a quiet evening at home. All of my shopping is done so all I have really is just sit back and relax...perhaps watch some videos and contribute a few more articles for the blog before the 25th.


Singer-songwriter Akira Inoue(井上鑑)has already made his presence known on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" with nikala providing a write-up on his 1983 album "Splash" but up until now, I've only mentioned him as a songwriter for other artists.

However, I've recently come across this number by him for his first album "Phophetic Dream" from March 1982. "Bartok no Kage" (Bartok's Shadow) is a pretty esoteric-sounding title for what is a nicely gliding tribute to Steely Dan. In fact, I'm hoping that Donald Fagen and (the late) Walter Becker have at least heard of the tune and given a tip of their hats.

Apparently, the Wikipedia article for Steely Dan noted the duo's predilection for "...cryptic and ironic lyrics...". Well, "Bartok no Kage" also has some rather interesting lyrics mentioning about that fugitive sitting on the sofa, placing a hand on a window with eyes shut and an orbit of a song. And all this for a very important composer from Hungary.

Then again, I was always more of the melody part than that of the lyrics. Man, just how it starts things off had me thinking about how much influence Steely Dan may have had on City Pop in general during the late 70s and early 80s. I also remembered Makoto Matsushita's(松下誠)"Lazy Night" from his own debut album "First Light" in the previous year.

If I could drive, I would throw this into the car stereo and bomb down the Don Valley Parkway in the overnight hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.