Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, March 18, 2016

Rebecca -- Lonely Butterfly


Back in the day, I wasn't too big a fan of 80s band Rebecca since I was more into the aidoru and pure pop than pop/rock but I have mellowed over the years, and actually speaking, Rebecca wasn't really all that heavy into the rock in the first place.

Case in point, "Lonely Butterfly", Rebecca's 6th single from October 1986. Listening to it once again after so long, I've come to realize that it is more pop than it is rock. Probably at the time, I just assumed that any song that had a loud set of drums and more than one electric guitar was a bit too rich for my blood. Rookie mistake. Written by vocalist NOKKO and keyboardist Akio Dobashi(土橋安騎夫), the nostalgia angle has also played a role since I don't hear anything like Rebecca's sound anymore in J-Pop, especially that synth.


"Lonely Butterfly" managed to get as high as No. 6. Watching the official music video, I appreciated NOKKO's wear of Tom Cruise's outfit from "Top Gun".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.