Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Naomi Sugimura -- Sunset Memory (サンセット・メモリー)


I didn't think I would ever see a YouTube video featuring somewhat obscure singer Naomi Sugimura(杉村尚美)but I found one the other day. However then again, I had never expected to come across any sort of video featuring her old band, Higurashi(日暮し), but I was delighted to not only find them online but also to find that mystery song that I had been searching for decades, "Aki no Tobira"(秋の扉). Miracles do happen.

With the breakup of Higurashi in 1979, Sugimura had a very brief solo career before calling it quits in 1982. In 1981, she had her debut single as a solo singer, the jaunty "Sunset Memory". The song was written by Machiko Ryu(竜真知子)and composed by Toshiyuki Kimori(木森敏之), and instead of the breezy City Pop/J-AOR of "Aki no Tobira", Sugimura's "Sunset Memory" seemed a bit more in the traditional kayo pop vein...almost as if it should have been released at least some years beforehand. Lyricist Ryu had also written for another singer Ruiko Kurahashi(倉橋ルイ子)and it is that singer which I was reminded of when I heard this particular song.


According to J-Wiki, "Sunset Memory" did become a hit for Sugimura although I couldn't find out how high it got on Oricon. I'm assuming that it was also on her first album, "Naomi FIRST". However, after another couple of singles, she hung up the mike for good and got married. She is now a beauty adviser.

Also have a look at "Kinou ni Sayonara"(昨日にさよなら), Sugimura's B-side to "Sunset Memory".

A sunset memory of Shibuya 109

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.