Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Tomoko Koyano -- Unuborenaide (うぬぼれないで)



I hope this video stays up for a while since it's got that catchy beat. Plus, Tomoko Koyano(古谷野とも子)is a name which I have seen in "Japanese City Pop" and wondered about for some time. She's a singer-songwriter who was only active for a few years in the (late?) 1970s, and her husband happens to be fellow singer-songwriter Shozo Ise(伊勢正三).

"Unuborenaide" is certainly an expression that I had never heard of before, but it apparently translates as "Don't be conceited". Koyano wrote and composed this song which was a track on her 4th and final album, "From Inside" from 1979, a release which was produced by Shigeru Suzuki(鈴木茂). Listening to this nice and peppy number, I thought the song combined the stylings of Junko Yagami(八神純子)and 1970s Taeko Ohnuki(大貫妙子). And it definitely has that summer night-in-the-big-city feeling. I found out about this song only after I had already made my latest orders to Tower Records and CD Japan, but it looks like "From Inside" is available on both sites so hopefully, I can grab a copy for Xmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.