Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Mayo Okamoto -- Takaramono (宝物)

(cover version)

Singer-songwriter Mayo Okamoto (岡本真夜)from Kochi Prefecture was a regular musical presence during the last half of the 90s and into the next century. She came up with a number of popular songs such as her debut, "Tomorrow" in 1995, but for me, my personal favourite by her was a single that never cracked the Top 10.

"Takaramono" (My Treasure) was the theme song for a mystery-comedy series on TBS, "Mama Chari Keiji"(ママチャリ刑事...Mommy Bike Detectives)starring veterans Yuko Asano and Misako Tanaka. But it was that theme song with the radio-friendly light R&B touch that had me going to the CD store. Released in February 1999, I never figured Okamoto to bring in a bit of that soul music into her material, but listening to the good feelings of "Takaramono", I began reminiscing about folks like Al Jarreau and DeBarge from the early 80s. As I mentioned, the song only got as high as No. 13 on the weeklies, and eventually ranked No. 219 on the annual charts.

Still, I know what I like and "Takaramono" is still my treasure.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.