Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Miki Nakatani -- corpo e alma


I was doing some maintenance duty yesterday and read over the article for Miki Nakatani's(中谷美紀) "Cure" album (1997) once again. As all of you who go through the album articles know, we don't put up every song for perusal, so there are some nice tracks that unfortunately get left off.

For "Cure", it was the final track, "corpo e alma" (Body and Soul in Portuguese). I remember Marcos V's article on his best Carnaval-related J-Pop song list from about a couple of weeks before, and so when I listened to this one by Nakatani, I realized that I could've also mentioned this one in my comments. It has that samba rhythm right from the start, but it also contains that nighttime vibe throughout with some jazziness and techno sprinkled in. Perhaps I could've included it in my own list for night listening (for our respective lists, you can just click on "Author's Picks" in the Labels section to the right). Regardless, although it's not the strongest track, it serves as a relaxing way to finish off a pretty interesting album.

Ryuichi Sakamoto(坂本龍一) composed and arranged "corpo e alma" and Taeko Ohnuki (大貫妙子)provided the lyrics. Strangely enough, I think the song would've been something that Ohnuki herself would've sung back in her collaborations with The Professor in the early 80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.