Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Misato Watanabe -- Christmas Made Matenai (クリスマスまで待てない)



Well, it's a year later but I was finally able to bring in the original version of "Christmas Made Matenai" (Can't Wait Til Christmas) by Misato Watanabe(渡辺美里). This time last year, when I was making my first batch of postings on J-Xmas songs, I could only find the cover version of this song by the aidoru group, deeps. Their version is plenty fun too but there's nothing like the original.

As mentioned in the deeps posting, "Christmas Made Matenai" was placed as a track on Misato's 1991 album, "Lucky" and was created by her and Hiromasa Ijichi(伊秩弘将).  It's stood out over the years as one of my favourite J-Xmas tunes because of the singer's bright booming vocals and the retro rock melody. Just a few minutes ago, I wrote about Misato's other Xmas tune, "Oh! Darling" from her 1990 album, "Tokyo", and compared to it, "Christmas Made Matenai" is a bit more relaxed and less frenetic, although the energy is still in there. But when we talk about a Misato Christmas, quietly watching a Xmas tree while holding a cup of cocoa is not what comes to mind, in any case.


What would have made this post perfect is if I could have tracked down a concert performance of this song by Misato.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.