Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Alfee -- Flower Revolution




Magnolias and dandelions all! Come and march with us! I had never heard of this 1990 International Garden and Greenery Expo in Osaka until I watched an episode of "Music Fair", and The Alfee (yup, the definite article was being used here) appeared. As usual, they and fellow guest, aidoru Yu Hayami (早見優), performed some of their past hits until the last 10 minutes when the band launched this marching melody, and then Toshihiko Takamizawa(高見沢俊彦) screamed out in full-throated glory "TO BE A ROCK FLOWER REVOLUTION!!!"

Watching The Alfee perform this proud paean to all things botanical at close to 11:30 p.m. on Sunday night from the comfort of my futon was a bit surreal. However, I'm sure the organizers for Expo '90 looked at the Takamizawa-penned "Flower Revolution" with sage approval. And heck, although this occurred in the dead winter, I rather promised myself to shake hands with the first crocus I met thanks to this happy song. It was a bang-on call to arms for the flora of the planet.

The 34th single by The Alfee was released in January 1990, and peaked at No. 3 on Oricon. Not only was it the image song for that expo, but it was also the theme for the Osaka International Women's Marathon in the same year. The song was also on their album, "Arcadia", released in October of that year.

Never ended up taking the Bullet down to Osaka to see the Expo, but did pick up the single.



2 comments:

  1. I first heard this song on a compilation. The English lyrics made little sense to me, but still it's a great rocking tune. I also like the fact that all three guys, who have such distinctive voices, share vocals on the single. I don't think there's another band quite like them. I also went on to collect most of their albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always more of a melody guy anyways so I didn't pay too much attention to the lyrics. Just took them as the usual amusing Engrish. Still, "Flower Revolution" has that arrangement to make someone want to march proudly...to horticulture.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.