Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

NHK Kayo Concert (NHK歌謡コンサート)


I figured that I've mentioned this program enough times on some of the other articles that it was time to give it its due. "NHK Kayo Concert" is just one in a long line of prime time programs on Japan's main government network focusing on showcasing veteran kayo kyoku singers and their big hits. The current program got its name change in 1993 and has continued thusly for the past 20 years. And in North America, TV Japan has been showing on the same Tuesday night, although it broadcasts here at 9 p.m. instead of the 8 p.m. start in Japan.

Although we also get "Music Station" here on Sunday nights, I've been more faithful to the kayo kyoku show since I get to hear a lot of the songs of my childhood and youth. So, I get to see veterans like Saburo Kitajima(北島三郎), Sachiko Kobayashi(小林幸子)and The Cool Five. However, there are also younger folks such as the Prince of Enka, Kiyoshi Hikawa(氷川きよし), who also make regular appearances.


Since it takes place at NHK Hall in Shibuya, Tokyo, the same venue where the Kohaku Utagassen takes place annually, I usually think of "Kayo Concert" as being the weekly shortened version of the 2nd half of the Kohaku (when most of the enka performers used to appear). The singers still come out wearing their Tuesday best, whether it be suits, gowns or kimono. And the themes change from week to week. One week may be a tribute to Hibari Misora, the next week may go for seasonal songs.


Although the majority of guests are singers specializing in enka and/or Mood Kayo, some of the older pop singers (usually from the 60s and 70s) have also come onto "Kayo Concert" to reflect on the old days and their songs before heading to centre stage. Hiromi Ohta's "Amadare" is one example, and Jun Horie has also appeared to perform his "Memory Glass".

Perhaps I'm getting old-fogeyish, but I get quite a lot of enjoyment watching this bit of old-style Japanese elegance and entertainment. And perhaps if the series continues under its current title or a new one in another decade, Seiko Matsuda or even Dreams Come True may come aboard. :)

2 comments:

  1. I live in Canada, and am learning to read some characters thanks to names like Sayuri Ishikawa, one of my favourites. I too, hope that other singers join Ishikawa, like Mizue Takada, and Makimura Mieko to name a couple.
    I receive B.S Nippon only when scheduled through Rogers and enjoy the Singing contest with Godai Natsuko making a guest appearance to present a new song. Just wish, like others, that maybe debut concerts of Kobayashi Sachiko were still available. Or Suizenji Kiyoko performed. But I guess like Ishikawa Sayuri, they are wonderful people who enjoy performing and have busy schedules. I am still looking for Kobayashi's past concert as I have seen Ishikawa Sayuri; Shinno Mika; Godai Natsuko dvd concerts and they do not disappoint, I hope that I may get to meet Sayuri in person but she may have to stay as a dream. They work so hard to give a wonderful performance. Ishikawa Sayuri; Shinno Mika and Godai Natsuko; Mori Masako,,,, you are all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there.

      Thanks very much for your comments, and I see that you are an enka fan. I don't think we've had many comments on the genre in this blog, so I hope you can put some more of your thoughts here since although I do like a number of enka songs, I'm not an expert on them.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.