Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Fukinoto -- Hitori no Fuyu Nara Kuruna (ひとりの冬なら来るな)



I've been continuing to peruse my old "Sounds of Japan" audio tapes today and I came across this number from folk duo Fukinoto(ふきのとう). One of the things I've appreciated about the old CHIN-FM radio show is that the DJs didn't just put up what was up on the Top 10 of Oricon but also songs and artists that normally didn't get anywhere near there. Naturally, everyone's opinions on music are as individual as a set of fingerprints, but for me, I've been able to find some gems through my ancient tapes.

Anyways, Fukinoto originated in Hokkaido in 1972 after Yasuyo Yamaki(山木康世) and Motoyoshi Hosotsubo(細坪基佳), two friends at Hokkai Gakuen University in Sapporo, set up a band called Mad Slide Slim before settling upon "Fukinoto" which is known in English as the edible bud of the Giant Butterbur. In 1974, they released their debut single, "Shiroi Fuyu" (白い冬...White Winter) which became a hit for them. However after that, success was rather fleeting.

"Hitori no Fuyu Nara Kuruna" (Don't Bother Coming If You're Gonna Be My Winter) was Fukinoto's 19th single released in October 1982. First off, my translation of the title isn't that great but Yamaki's title and lyrics refer to a bitter aftermath to a doomed romance despite the jaunty melody. The spurned young man gives an open warning to not rain (or snow) on his parade since he's moving on with his life (SNAP!) Since this was a folk/New Music song from the early 80s, there's some synth work in there which reminded me a bit of some of Kozo Murashita's(村下孝蔵) enjoyable work during the same time. There's just something about Japanese folk during that time that just struck me as being very pure and refreshing.

As for that edible flower bud of the Giant Butterbur, I can tell you from delicious experience that sansai山菜...mountain vegetable) tempura chopped up and scattered over rice is absolutely perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.