Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, February 1, 2013

Happy Anniversary, Kayo Kyoku Plus!

Well, yesterday on January 31st, my blog, Kayo Kyoku Plus, actually reached 1 year old! I had done a blog during the last several years of my time in Japan before and when I finally got back in December 2011, I decided to continue it since I liked writing.

However, there was also a part of me that thought about those CDs I lugged back from the Pacific to join the CDs and the several Japanese albums and dozens of cheap Canadian Tire cassette tapes of radio programs that had been left back here in Toronto, along with my early memories of kayo kyoku on the stereo. And I thought, like peanut butter and chocolate, I could put the two, kayo kyoku and blogging, together. I mean, I knew that there have been other people who have posted their own blogs about Japanese music up, but I also wanted to inject a little about my thoughts about the music and the circumstances in which I bought it...just because. At first, I'd wondered about doing a podcast about it but after reading a rather thick tome on podcasting, even my rather thick brain quickly got the message that playing music on a podcast was gonna get me into some trouble.

So, I went for the blog. And in retrospect, I think it was the better way. Part of my purpose was not just putting my stuff and commentary up there, but to see if there were anyone else who had an interest in some of the old Showa Era music. And even though I am grateful for the number of pageviews approaching 50,000 at the time of this writing (although I'm also aware that probably a certain fraction of them have been of one-second duration), I am especially thankful for those who have been taking the time and energy to comment on some of the songs.....people like bode1967 from South America, JTM from Hawaii, makotogawa from Croatia, The President from the UK, nikala from my hometown, and all of the others. The surprising thing is how wide-ranging the look-ins have been. There have been contacts from Algeria, Norway, Singapore, Russia and Pakistan. I look forward to their continued comments and also encourage others to comment, even if it's just for one song and one singer.

One of the bonuses of doing KK Plus has been the ability to learn more about the songs themselves....about the stories behind their productions, and who were responsible for them. A year after I started the blog, names like Yu Aku, Kyohei Tsutsumi and Takashi Matsumoto have become pretty household for me over the past year.

And another bonus has been some of the commenters giving their suggestions about songs they've enjoyed. Some of them were tunes I'd forgotten about, others I had never heard of. So, in the future, I will put up some additional stuff for Ryoko Shinohara and Ichiko Fujii. That was what I was hoping to get: a conversation going about this admittedly very niche topic for a blog.

Now, as for the future....I had thought naively in the start that I was gonna end up gasping and wheezing to the finish line of one year, bereft of any other songs I could put up. But as I got closer to the end of 2012, I realized that I was gonna be going beyond January 31 2013 by a fair margin. I'm still not sure whether I can actually make a 2nd anniversary doing the same thing I've been doing but for the meantime, thanks to the suggestions, books like "Japanese City Pop" and some dusting off of the cobwebs in my memory, I think I can still keep on chugging away for the next little while at least. I'm now thinking about going back to my old cassette tapes and hear anything I've missed.


Finally, I just wanted to thank The President for informing me about the presence of this rarity, "Love Trip" by Takako Mamiya. I made the investment and got the CD a few days ago. It's always satisfying when I can get something special like this. Someday, I'd like to get a disc of Makoto Matsushita's "First Light". One never knows what's possible.

Anyways, yoroshiku onegai shimasu.



11 comments:

  1. 周年記念日 おめでとう J-Canuck さん! (Hope I said that right) Congratulations on your first year anniversary for this awesome blog! I for one am grateful to you for all the hard work you've put into maintaining this site and posting all these great posts and videos - とても感謝しています。 You're probably one of the very few English speaking 80s JPop fans out there who really knows their stuff and knows a lot of trivia about the artists and their music. It also helps that you are fluent in Japanese and can easily get information from other sources like J-Wiki. I hope that you continue with this blog as it is an invaluable resource for fans of 80s Jpop, ニューミュージック and 歌謡曲. I'd be willing to help contribute more as well if you need additional writers/contributors. Here's some more suggestions for future posts:
    一世風靡セピア, BARBEE BOYS, サディスティック・ミカ・バンド, 聖飢魔II, RAMU, サンディー&ザ・サンセッツ, 刀根麻理子, 中原めいこ, バブルガム・ブラザーズ, Gwinko, 爆風スランプ, TWO-MIX, 宮沢りえ

    Please keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, JTM, for your support over the past number of months. And perhaps I may be needing some help from your part if you have the time. There are a number of singers I have never crossed paths with, so if you know them, you can put them up and give your impressions about them. I may need help especially with aidoru and hard rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flawless work on this blog so far. :) Many of the artists you profile have little to no information available to them in English, so it's great that you're making them more accessible to non-Japanese audiences and provide some handy info and trivia along the way which brings the music to life. You really accomplished so much in only one year, and I'm looking forward to what else you have in store. Congrats!

    I recently got interested in Kyoko Endo thanks to your entry on her song "Yuki ga Furu Mae ni". I'll definitely be buying some of her releases when I have spare cash. In the meanwhile, Youtube has her first album "Operette" available for streaming, which I really like. (It's also mentioned in "Japanese City Pop".)

    And don't worry about running out of songs to write about. Japanese music industry is very vast, and with their oldies, there's still a countless amount of treasures we haven't heard about. The fun part is digging them out. :)

    JTM mentioned some great post suggestions for artists you haven't covered yet. I'll also add Lily, Masashi Sada, Senri Oe, Masayoshi Yamazaki, Kaoru Sudo, Stardust Revue, Tomoko Tane, Yoshiyuki Ohsawa, The Yellow Monkey, Shigeru Suzuki... I'll stop for now, but if you need any help, I'd be willing to contribute as well. Let me know.

    P.S. Sorry for the long comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies needed on the long comments, nikala. Always welcome them.

      Thanks kindly for the support, and yep, it's been a fun year with this project. I still can't believe that even after doing a couple of entries almost every day, there are still singers and popular songs that I have yet to cover. Kyoko Endo and the other City Pop folk are some of those singers that I've still got to explore.

      You and JTM have given me some great suggestions. And I think it might be time for me to seek your help on a more active level. I know some of the people you've mentioned such as Masashi Sada, Tomoko Tane and Stardust Revue, but I cannot say that I am an expert on them. Perhaps that's where you and JTM and the others can come in.

      Let me give you my e-mail address: allanikesaka@gmail.com. Please contact me here.

      Delete
  4. Hi J-Canuck,
    Thanks for your reply. I'd be very happy to help contribute to your blog. I'm no expert in JPop but can definitely help you with posts on some well known artists as well as some other obscure JPOP artists as well. I actually contribute to another Blogger site so I am somewhat familiar with the Blogger dashboard and WYSIWYG editor. Is there a way I can contact you directly? I'm somewhat hesitant to post my email here without getting SPAMMED.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, JTM.

    Sure, I've extended the same courtesy over to nikala as well. I don't think the blog needs expertise in terms of stats behind the songs....I just pick up the rankings information at J-Wiki and the entamedata site, but I am interested in hearing why you like the song and how you came across it. As nikala has mentioned, there is lots to be mined out there.

    Anyways, why don't you give me a contact at allanikesaka@gmail.com?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is amazing, and as someone who has been slowly learning japanese it has given me so much ever since I began reading it some years back. Only now did I notice a comment section!

    So much good work! Thanks for all of this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, MrFathat.

      Thanks very kindly for your compliments, and I'm happy to say that it's been a team effort with the other collaborators. I hope that we can provide some more practice for your Japanese. Just out of curiosity, do you have any particular Japanese singers or songs you like?

      Delete
    2. Before I found kayokyoku plus, I almost exclusively listened to group sounds and Kitajima Saburo.

      But nowedays I also love any smooth music that manages to make your mind wander and have you imagining yourself somewhere else, in a different time. Akira Terao's Reflections and Makoto Matsushita's First Light are some amazing albums that gives me a lot of that, and I managed to get a hold of both of them after learning about them here. I am currently looking for another album to buy before Christmas comes around.

      If I had to pick a single song that I like, I guess it would be Araki Ichiro's "君に捧げるほろ苦いブルース" I do like him quite a lot as well and hope to understand his lyrics to 100% one day.

      Delete
    3. Hello, MrFathat.

      Yup, Sabu-chan has been a regular part of my old listening history since my early childhood, and Group Sounds is a genre that I've come across through the old radio program in my youth, "Sounds of Japan" and on old VHS tapes.

      I'm glad to hear that the blog was able to introduce those albums over to you. In particular, "First Light" was an album that I really wanted to get for some years but couldn't due to various restrictions against shipping out albums from Japan. I finally got it through Yahoo Auction....definitely no regrets about that purchase and also the famous "Reflections".

      I have not heard of that song before so I will have to give it a listen on YouTube shortly. Thanks very much for the tip. If I do put it up on the blog, I'll see if I can provide some insight into the lyrics.

      Delete
    4. That sounds real nice of you :)

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.