Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Yumi Matsutoya -- Blizzard

(cover version)

One of my favourite songs by Yumi Matsutoya(松任谷由美) and one of her most representative ones for Winter, "Blizzard" seems to be played for the skiing set, although I think it would be rather insane to be shushing down the slopes during a whiteout. It was one of the songs used for the movie "Watashi wo Ski ni Tsuretette"私をスキーに連れてって...Take Me Skiing) along with Yuming's Xmas hit, "Koibito ga Santa Claus"恋人がサンタクロース). But I guess it's that exciting, suspenseful melody which starts the song off that gets the blood going and the legs a-pumping. It sounds like it was made to herald the arrival of a winter storm.

"Blizzard" wasn't released as an official single but is a track on Yuming's 16th album, "No Side", which was released in December 1984. The album is one of my favourites since it has a number of great songs on it such as the title track and "Downtown Boy", and no doubt, I'll be profiling the rest of the album at a future date.

The main reason for me putting this one up today though is because for the first time in 645 days, my hometown of Toronto finally got walloped by heavy snow. I wouldn't say it was a blizzard, though. More like a steady stream of the white stuff over an entire night. It was pretty darn nice trudging through the snow again.

Nice to get those 10 centimetres at last.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are definitely having a ホワイトクリスマス up there in Toronto. God, I miss the snow. Here in Honolulu, we have a lot of sunny weather but I'd trade that for some snow any day. The last time I saw snow was when I was living in Tokyo almost 10 years ago. 松田聖子 for some reason like to sing about snow a lot with songs like 雪のファンタジー and 外は白い雪. I guess ウィンター・ガーデン doesn't count as she doesn't mention snow in it although it is another winter song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may complain a fair bit about the weather up here in Toronto, especially if it outlasts its welcome, but overall I'm glad I live in an area which gets 4 full seasons. Therefore, I cherished any time we got snow in Tokyo.

    Snow and Seiko seem to go well together for some reason. Well, if someday she should ever discover this blog, I can pose her a number of questions about her meteorological affinities. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.