Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Miki Imai -- Hitomi ga Hohoemu kara (瞳がほほえむから)


I was watching a docudrama one night on the life of The God of Manga, Osamu Tezuka(手塚治虫). Not surprisingly, he was lionized on screen with the proverbial final scene of him in a hospital bed as he reflected on his life. Then this wonderful song came on as Tezuka's famous creations appeared on the screen, and I thought the producers really pulled out all the stops to have this throat-lumping tune finish this biography.

As it turned out, though, "Hitomi ga Hohoemu kara"(Because Your Eyes Smile) was the ending theme for the Wednesday Night Drama on Nippon Television (NTV). I wouldn't find about Miki Imai(今井美樹) for some months yet, but she was indeed the singer behind this ballad. I knew that I would have to find the song somehow. And it was indeed providential when I bought her first Best Album, "Ivory"(1989) and discovered the song at the end of the album. "Hitomi"was created by composer/singer Chika Ueda(上田知華)and lyricist Yuuho Iwasato(岩里祐穂).

Even watching Miki Imai in the original music video gets me nostalgic since she had all that long frizzy hair back then. I believe the style was called "sauvage". In any case, the single itself got as high as No. 9 on the Oricon charts. It never came out on an original album, so "Ivory" was the first chance to hear it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.