Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Yoshitaka Minami -- Video City


I kinda wish I didn't have to start the Yoshitaka Minami(南佳孝) file with this song since he had an even bigger hit earlier in this career called "Monroe Walk", but I came across "Video City" just by accident for the first time in over 20 years via YouTube and just had to post it up. I first heard it on a compilation album lent by my friend and never bothered to find out who sang it. I just remembered it as a quirkily fun tune.

Minami usually relies on two themes when he writes his songs: manly emotions and life in the big city. I would say his 17th single falls firmly into the latter category. When it comes to City Pop, the image is often of a cool nocturnal Tokyo while someone is knocking back a few drinks in a Western bar. "Video City" is City Pop through Disney glasses. You're still in Tokyo but you're not in Aoyama or Roppongi; most likely you're in Akihabara and knocking back a Makudonarudo strawberry milkshake. Right from that tinkly synthesizer, Minami's slightly Speedy Gonzalez delivery and funky horns, what you get is a musically fun tour of Tokyo's modern, neon-drenched areas.


(from Japan Walk)

In a way, the 1987 "Video City" gives me some fond memories of the old Akihabara with all of the "Where did they think of this?"-gadgets and sleek electronics shops. Would love to walk through the area once more.

Hear of Maid Cafes? This was a Maid Tour Guide of Akihabara.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.